Thursday, October 30, 2008

More history.

History, n. an account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers, mostly knaves, and soldiers, mostly fools.
AMBROSE BIERCE, The Devil's Dictionary
As you may know Sonlight uses Story of the World as a history spine. Ditz finished reading this last term but it has taken us a little longer to do the scrapbooking. We have finally made it to the end with the fall of the Roman Empire, Boudicca & Attila the Hun all crammed onto our very last page. The scrapbooking has worked really well for Ditz & we can refer to it like a time line as well.We are digressing this term with WWII. So much for logical sequencing!

I would never say I was an unschooler. I panic way to much for that sort of thinking but while I am directing Ditz into some areas I think will benefit her she has also been doing her own on~line research & reading through letters she found. There is obviously something of the snoop in my child. There is just something delightfully illicit about reading someone else's mail! Or their diary. She is doing pretty well with Anne Frank's diary & was delighted to find it does not have a happy ending. I must point out to her that this is not fiction.

While history may not be Ditz's favourite topic at least we don't struggle in this area. At present she doesn't quite see what any of this has to do with her music but I keep trying to show her the links until [hopefully] one day she will make her own connections. I have my own research to do because I've just remembered the jewish band that formed in one of the death camps & that's something that may interest Ditz. The things I know that I've forgotten I know until something jogs my memory!

3 comments:

Luke Holzmann said...

I must admit that I find "The Devil's Dictionary" hilarious and scathing (perhaps more hilarious because it's so scathing [smile]).

~Luke

Dianna said...

Hey, I think it's a great idea to skip ahead. None of my history classes got to WWII because we were always behind. :)

Anonymous said...

Not sure what Viktor Frankl's writing is like in terms of accessibility (I've never read him), but may be worth looking at for Ditz to read.

Siano