Friday, November 30, 2007

Friday's shopping.

Old mother Hubbard went to the cupboard....& it was very bare, which is what happens when I don't shop regularly. I was going to go yesterday but I felt sick & woosed so today I girded my loins, organized Ditz & prepared to face the fray. I promptly fell asleep on the boat going over to the mainland! Ditz had to wake me twice coming into the marina. Not a good start to the day. I seriously considered the bus but knowing Liddy's car needed a run I dutifully walked all the way up to her parking spot, struggled with the steering lock &...no battery. I nearly went straight home again. I tried again & this time found life in the old girl, much to Ditz's relief.

I'm not one for gadgets but the kettle has been leaking for a month so it was time to buy a new one. My, oh my! Wasn't that a rude shock. Serious dent in the budget. Now if I don't shop for a month (& it's been 6 weeks this time) life becomes seriously unhinged. Half my household can't use soap & relies on body wash. The other half can't stand body wash & insists on soap. No problemo if I rotate what I buy every fortnight. Not even a problem if I were talking one or two products, but no. This one wants baked beans for the carbs but that one wants spagetti because it won't give him gas & the other one prefers red salmon, red not pink. The girls won't touch any of it. You start to get the picture. I tottered round the shop mentally calculating what I could cut off my list. Not the toilet cleaner; I have 3 blokes in the house & I have a thing about the loo. Not the shampoo; Liddy's been screaming we've been out of shampoo for a month. What does she use it as? Mouthwash? Ditz takes the trolley off me. She now considers me an unsafe driver. All I want to do is curl up on the floor & go to sleep. Can you imagine the looks I'd get? Ditz would never let it happen.

Finally, finally I crawl back to the car, my wallet considerably lighter but the precious note that will buy the next lot of multi~tickets for the boat still safely tucked in my purse. Like a horse scenting the home stretch my head is up & my tail high. I put Ditz out at the marina with all the groceries & decide along the way I really don't want to walk all the way from Liddy's usual parking spot. I duck into the 7 day park. After all I'm back over on Wednesday. Ditz has her audition time. Don't talk to me about it. I am suffering serious nerves on her behalf. Ditz never suffers but firstly we got just 5 days notification & secondly they asked for a backing track. A what? Appalled I sent a frantic e~mail asking would they object if the child sang a Capella? Apparently not but now I have constant ninging as well as singing. Argh! For those who don't know ninging ( a type of humming) puts the voice on pitch. Don't ask I have no idea how this works but apparently it does.

1 comment:

Constance said...

Living on an island as you do, it never occurred to me that you would leave your car over on the mainland. I don't know why I didn't think of that but I didn't! Our family has 5 cars! That's not as uncommon as it might sound! Our 2 youngest kids have their own car, I have on, my hubby has a work vehicle and then we have a huge conversion van which we use for vacations. I don't know how it is over there but we Americans are in love with our automobiles! I'd like to think we aren't that way, we just realize it's a blessing that makes our lives easier!

I hate grocery shopping! Everyone has to have their own juice to drink, their own shampoo, toothpaste, and so on... The only thing I hate more than shopping is having to haul it inside the house, date it and put it all away!

Connie